Museum aan het Vrijthof
Museum at the Vrijthof is a private museum in the center of the Dutch city of Maastricht. The museum is partly located in the Spanish Government at the Vrijthof, one of the oldest, non-ecclesiastical buildings of the city. After a radical renovation and extension in 2012, the emphasis shifted from 18th century period rooms to changing exhibitions of modern art. The basis of the permanent collection was formed in the past by the Wagner-De Wit collection. This collection of art and antiques was brought together in the first half of the 20th century by the Hague couple Frederik Wagner (1870-1958) and Ambrosina de Wit (1876-1956?). The emphasis was on Dutch and Flemish masters from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, including Dirck van Baburen, Adriaen van de Venne, Johannes Lingelbach, Egbert Lievensz. van der Poel, Nicolaes Moeyaert, Nicolaes Berchem, Jacques d'Arthois and Pieter Casteels III. The art-loving couple also collected images from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, carpets and furniture from the 17th and 18th centuries, glass and crystal objects, antique coins and oriental art objects.